Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Olive Oil Heaven at La Grotta

So I have this dirty little secret that I am publicly declaring here and now- I am on a low carb diet. I know the goods and the bads. I had to say this because it explains my food decisions over the recent weeks, but I don't want any lectures.

So I met a buddy at La Grotta today. I was totally craving the beef carpaccio. So I got there and forgot that they had this killer dipping sauce for their bread. This sauce is olive oil and I think pureed artichokes and/or olives. I asked once but can't remember for the life of me. So I held myself in check and ordered a mixed salad without the dressing. I totally doused my salad in the glorious olive oil concoction. Then the raw beef came with its heavenly amounts of olive oil, capers and Parmesan cheese. Perfection. And I kept to my diet. The only downside was that it wasn't cheap, but when has that stopped me in the past.

Time to make sure that La Grotta is on the regular lunch rotation.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

3 comments:

VCURamz said...

Congrats on staying on your diet! It is amazing the amount of choices you can eat if you go after fresh, whole ingredients.

I need you to recommend some good lunch places down in the Fan. The slip is too far and parking is atrocious. But I would appreciate some good lunch places in the Fan.

The Marinara said...

Are you talking about low carb places?

I tend to stick to Sidewalk, 3 Monkeys, Joes Inn, Can Can, Chioccas, or Kuba Kuba. 8 1/2 is fun for takeout. Most of the places either have some sort of salads or wings or burger that you can make work for you.

One of my favorite low carb joints is Ghengis Khan Mongolian Grill in Midlothian.

RVA Foodie said...

My wife is doing a low-glycemic index diet, which is essentially low carb. I thought I would lose weight along with her, but what's happening is she eats s couple bites of carbs and then pushes them on me. Whatever. If I'm letting myself go, I can at least write it off on the cooking/eating hobby.