Saturday, September 13, 2008

Disappointment at Papa Ningo

I remember getting in trouble as a child and the parents making some dumb comment as they were about to deliver the painful punishment, "This hurts me more than it hurts you." I never believed them. Yet as I write this post, it is hard for me to write a negative report from one of my favorite places in town. So in a sense, I guess I get it.

Yesterday I went with some buddies over to Papa Ningo for lunch. They have a pretty decent buffet for $6.99 and it includes a chicken curry, stewed chicken, pepper steak, pasta, rice, beans, and some other stuff like spare ribs or fried fish. Sometimes there will be a plate of plantains.

I would have to say that my favorite dish on there is the curry. So when we hit the buffet right at noon, we were a bit disappointed to see that the curry was almost done. We each took a small amount thinking that they would refill the supply. Alas it was not meant to be. We watched as all the meat dishes were systematically finished off by 12:30 pm. Then we watched how each tray remained empty with no obvious attempts to fill them back. The chef in the kitchen seemed to be doing nothing about it. The girl in the front wasn't doing anything about it. Finally, we just paid and left.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that it was an unexpectedly busy day, but really any place in the buffet business should be prepared for restocking it. Nonetheless, I will give them another try but I will say that for the first time I was really disappointed there.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like to go to Papa Ningo for the lunch buffet, but unfortunately the quality varies every time. Sometimes they have a salad and plantains, sometimes they have great spare ribs, and sometimes the food has been sitting for 2 hours and they don't change it. What I have learned is it is usually better to go earlier in the day (11:30) and later in the week (this may just be coincidence).

Also if you can't make it to the restaurant, they have a half decent food cart at MCV on 12th Street.