Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Brock's Bar-B-Que: It has a buffet?

I have heard about Brock's BBQ for years. It's a bit hazy whether it was from radio advertising or actual people. So yesterday when I was driving down RT 10 in Chesterfield yesterday at lunchtime, I deceded I should stop by for a quick bite.


The first thing I noticed was the big neon BUFFET sign. I was in a bit of a hurry so I figured I'd try it and really a buffet tells me a lot about a restaurant. I ordered my sweet tea and headed up to the buffet. I piled up some minced pork and then went through the remainder of the buffet. I was in shock. I could be wrong but it felt like it was an advertisement for Sysco foods. We had fajitas with looked to be pre-cooked fajita style chicken. There was the preformed country-fried steak with the the runny country gravy. The salad bar seemed average. The veggies looked straight out of the freezer or can. There was the mixed veggies, spinach (or turnip greens), baked beans, etc. Maybe it was too late in the afternoon, but they just didn't look that appealing. 

I tried a few things and most everything was average at best. The exception was the minced pork bbq. That was actually very good. I believe it was NC style. There was a not a lot of reddish color in the meat that I ate, but there was a nice subtle smoke flavor. I then slathered the stuff with the vinegar based sauce. It was that perfect mix of sweet, spice, and vinegar. I ended up dousing the vegetables in the sauce because it was that good. 

I'm not sure how often I will go out of my way to go to Brock's, but I will definitly not be opposed to stopping there again. I just will make sure to stick with stuff ordered directly from the menu as opposed to risking the buffet. In my humble opinion, they would do much better with a much smaller buffet with a few dishes that are done very well. I do realize that I am not their average customer, and they have seemed to have done well enough without me.  

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

0 comments: