Friday, August 15, 2008

A Legend but not Legendary

I visited the Robin Inn last night with little Marinara. I must say that I have very fond memories of this place, but Mrs. Marinara was never a fan, so I could never go with her.

So I love the ambiance. It is a row house with drop ceilings and plenty of neon lights. While most people say that the renovation should have come years ago, I think it is cute.

I sit down and order a $4 pizza for the little man. When the waitress returns, I order the Pasta a la Manual Loupassi. This is a baked spaghetti with pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, mushrooms and whatever. I also upgrade my salad to the small Greek salad.

Little man's pizza was pretty much a prefab thin crust (think Domino's thin crust) with sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. He loves pizza any way you slice it. I think, well, it was $4. My pasta salad arrived and it has all the staples of a Greek Salad- feta, lettuce, onions, kalamata olives, pepperocini, and optional anchovies. It was OK, the Greek dressing was not up to par with some of the other Greek dressings I have had recently. It lacked the sweetness that i have come to expect over the years. Then the baked spaghetti arrived. And it was all that it was advertised. it had everything on it. the problem was that the sauce was.... ehhhhh. So basically, my food was just average.

As you, may or may not know, I love Joe's Inn. I think it is the standard for Diners in the Richmond area. And really, the Robin Inn doesn't seem to compete in the same ballpark. Will I go back? probably but at least with realistic expectations.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

3 comments:

Bookstore Piet said...

We had take away from there a while back - specifically the lasagna. Frankly, I would have been hard pressed to tell the difference between Robin Inn's and Stouffers. Not bad but completely unremarkable.

Unknown said...

Robin Inn? Akkk! It and the old Julians (across from the Science Museum) are dedicated to the insipidly sweet pasta sauce that typified old Richmond taste.

I went to both places over 19 years ago and have never been back.

The Marinara said...

I think there is something special in being Old Richmond. Sure the food may not be s good, but I love the vibe when I go into those types of places. They are comfortable and yet in someways they provide that timewarp back 20-30-40 years which I think is totally cool.