Thursday, October 2, 2008

I Can Choose To Not Be a Grilling Snob

I love grilling snobs. I love it when people are so passionate about grilling that they will only use charcoal or high searing infrared gas grills or wood. I am, however, a bit more pragmatic when it comes to outdoor cooking, and that is why I have 3 outdoor appliances (gas grill, charcoal grill, and a smoker). I write all this because I find myself ready to buy a completely different type of grill made by Holland (company not country).

The Holland Grill uses electricity or propane to heat the grill but the elements are completely covered by the drip pan. The design is set up to avoid flare-ups and make use up the drippings (from fat or marinade) to recycle the flavor back into the food. I was able to try some pork loin that was cooked on it and it was very tasty. After 15 minutes with salesman, I was very intrigued. So much so that I sent Mrs. Marinara over to look at it (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

As much as I am intrigued by this, it also seems gimmicky. It definitely violates so many grilling rules. The temperature ranges from 300- 425, which means it cooks at too high of a temp to smoke properly and to low of a temp to properly sear meat. Yet, the testimonials seem to point to this grill making great steaks and great ribs. Still can this be even qualified as grilling?

If I do buy into this, it will be out of necessity. I have been looking for a grill that can be used at tailgating events and they do have the compact Companion model. It is nice because it has a canvas bag that can be used for transportation and it runs on the smaller propane canisters. And even if I buy into this, really I need Mrs. Marinara to buy into this.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

8 comments:

RVA Foodie said...

My name is Jason Guard and I think I'm a grilling snob. It all started when I spied my neighbor on his porch, drinking a beer and scratching himself while standing over his Weber Smokey Joe. Is this the fountain of testosterone for domesticated man-beasts?

Anywho, I'm for charcoal and cast iron for cooking food with relatively natural elements, not some tin gagetry fueled by science. That said, I did get a free gas grill given to me and I'm tinkering with it every other weekend when my hibachi overflows with squashes. Head to my site and enter grill in the search and I think the hits wil indicate my degree of snobbery.

The Marinara said...

I have to agree with you on charcoal, especially for those Ramen Noodles. I can't imagine that this Holland Grill would add much to the Grilled Ramen experience.

Scott said...

Solar cooking is where it is at. Well cooked, evenly cooked food without the messy fuel on my back porch naked.

http://www.solarovens.org/

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/03/worlds_biggest.php

Veron said...

We love our infrared grill ... and we lay the blame on Piet's door for the unplanned purchase.

The Marinara said...

that blasted infrared grill is what would keep me from buying the large version of the Holland Grill.

Bookstore Piet said...

Charbroil owes me some serious commissions... :)

Jace said...

Piet, isn't it enough to know that you are RIGHT?

Bookstore Piet said...

Nope. Want cash too! :)