Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Failing the Memory

So I was asked to make a meal for a family that just brought in two teenaagers from Haiti. My thought process was as follows:

"H'mm I've been to Haiti 4 times"

"H'mm I bet those boys would appreciate a meal that reminds them of home"

"All I remember is fried chicken and thier rice and beans."

So I scoured the internet looking for Haitian fried chicken. When that failed, I looked for Carribean fried chicken- BINGO. The recipe called for cleaning the chicken with lime, using adobo seasoning, and light flour to coat it. Now I hadn't had Haitian fried chicken in 10 years but I remember it being amazing- then again I was tired and hungry when I ate it.

So I buy the ingreadiants, prep the chicken, heat the peanut oil, and fry away. Guess what! It was pretty good, but it didn't taste anything like my memory. So now I'll have to figure out something else for that dinner.

Trackbacks


Powered By: TrackBackr

2 comments:

Bassett said...

that's great that you would think to do that, good luck finding the real recipe.

The Marinara said...

Well, unfortunatly i think the only way to learn the recipe is to learn from the person who made it. I am not even sure she is still alive.